Tuesday 24 August 2010

Snooper's paradise

Two things: firstly, sorry for the lack of blogposts. I had a serious computer disaster; the screen just STOPPED. Although it was completely not my fault... I think...
The second is to apologise for the nature of these posts so far... I realise they've all been about various (amazing) shops I've found, but due to the laptop apocalypse I've been unable to upload any pictures.. but earlier this week I took part in my first real voyage into the vintage world!
Snooper's Paradise is a flea market in Brighton: the perfect place to find some great new vintage clothes.
Now, after living in Brighton for around 9 years I'm not saying I've never been in before, but it was more a half-hearted wander with my friends. As a shy person, the idea of having to do things like ask the cashier for keys to cabinets and *gasp* maybe even haggle fills me with a paralysing sense of dread but I DID IT!
Ok, so I wasn't on my own (I ashamedly took comfort in my 12 year old sister and mother) but I still DID IT!
The main reason I approach places like this with trepidation is because I always feel that I will be instantly spotted as a phoney: none of MY outfit has been determinedly hunted out from a bucket of second hand items, it doesn't have any story about its origin, millions of others have all the same items as me.
BUT
If I'm going to succeed in this challenge I'm going to have to face much harder days than a simple browse in a shop! So I did. I picked up a few items, I looked at some prices, I considered a gorgeous cameo necklace, I got a teeny bit lost... and then I left. Feeling surprisingly proud of myself considering all I did was... walk.

Look forward to seeing my growth in this voyage!

No comments:

Post a Comment